Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My oh my, it's a New Year!

And with that comes even more change! I know, it's hard to believe, but things don't like to stay the same. Lessee, Mark is going to his first show in March, I'm going to enter him into the Virginia Classic and have him tag along with Dawn Dolpp of Mada Vemi alpacas as a show buddy. I'm also thinking about entering him into the Palmetto Alpaca Classic show as well. Not sure how he'll do but I want to get some judge's comments so I know where to go next. Also helps get my name out there so maybe I'll be able to sell one of these guys along the way.

Princess didn't like her date so much with Mr. Legend. So, it's a wait till spring thing. The plan now is to breed her and her mommy in May. Holly should have a new baby by then (hope for a girl!) and Princess will be a little more mature. And if Mommy says it's okay maybe she'll think it's okay. That's the idea anyway. Holly is going to be bred to Dynamite, also owned by Mada Vemi Alpacas. He's a rose grey and Holly is brown so I'm hoping to get a beautiful baby there as well.

I have been busy with projects lately though I did take a 3 week break to spend major amounts of down time with my kids over Christmas and New Year. I finished a crochet poncho with my natural brown/black blend alpaca yarn. It's got a lovely cowl neck and side slits for the arms, very classy. The picture doesn't do it justice. The other thing I've been doing, not related to alpacas, is learning to quilt. I finished a small Christmas quilt just before the holidays and then this past weekend, put together a table runner and matching napkins for my friend Michelle. It's cute, the white fabric has kitties in Santa hats all over it. She loved it, needless to say.
I have even managed to do some spinning. I had some lovely roving that I bought at the 2007 VAOBA show and I finally pulled it out to spin. It's turning out quite nice. Now I just have to figure out how to put the plying attachment on my wheel so I can ply it when I'm all done. That and the two bobbins that I already have full of some grey I was working with need to be plyed so I can use the bobbins!

















VAOBA just offered another one of their wonderful seminars the weekend of the 17th. It was held in Petersburg at Virginia State University at their Randolph Farm. They have been doing some work with alpacas and the effects of worming and feed on fiber. It was pretty interesting stuff. Learned a lot and, as always, met some more wonderful people. Got to catch up with some I haven't seen in a while as well. Carolyn and Jackie were there as well as Anita from 3 Hawk Alpacas. Dawn and Sue too with some ladies that are just getting interested, Gaynell and Diane. It was informational, food was good and it was nice seeing everyone again.

I'll try to post more regularly if only because I like to write, regardless of if anyone is reading!

No comments: